Want to give a holiday gift that is heartfelt and heart healthy? Why not share something that inspires health and wellness? With some help from WebMD, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and Dr. Weil, a list of healthy holiday goodies that are sure to please and prevent disease was compiled. For the exercise enthusiast, or those who aspire to be, stuff a new gym bag with some great tools to motivate their workouts:
- Upbeat music to keep workouts energized
- A gift certificate for a session with a personal trainer.
- A pedometer...this nifty tool keeps track of how many steps you take; the goal is 10,000 steps every day!
- A fancy new BPA free water bottle (BPA stands for Bisphenol A, which is a chemical used in plastics) to stay hydrated, the bottles come in a variety of colors and styles.
- Games like Boggle and Scrabble, crossword puzzles, Sudoku or word search. Studies prove mental exercises help ward off dementia, keep the brain active and also support social interaction.
- A copy of the latest Master the Possibilities Education Center catalog. Choose from a vast selection of classes to engage in creative and intellectual pursuits.
- A magazine subscription that reflects personal style or interest.
For the special someone seeking stress relief, fill a beauty basket with gifts that will help to calm the mind and sooth the soul:
- Luxurious bubble bath.
- Scented candles.
- Music that inspires relaxation.
- Aromatherapy oils.
For the gourmet in your life, fill a reusable grocery bag with healthy treats and ideas that support nutritious and delicious dining:
- A new heart-smart cookbook. Eating healthy does not mean giving up favorite foods or skimping on flavor.
- Good quality dark chocolate. make sure that the cocoa content is at least 70% for the best antioxidant quality.
- Extra virgin olive oil. This oil has the "good fat" to help lower the bad cholestorol (LDL) and boost the good cholesterol (HDL).
- Include some of your own healthy holiday recipe cards.
Cammy Dennis is the Director of Fitness Programming for On Top of the World Communities and The Ranch Fitness Center & Spa